The Horticulture Export Development Foundation, in short, “Hortex Foundation” is registered as a Company Limited by Guarantee and Licensed under Section 26 of the Companies Act, 1913 having Registration No. C-323(11)/93. The Foundation was established in 1993 as a “not for profit” organization under patronization of the Ministry of Agriculture, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh for the development, promotion and marketing of exportable agricultural/horticultural produces, particularly high value non-traditional crops to high price mainstream markets for improving farmers’ income and national economy. The main focus of the Foundation is to organize, set up and develop supply and value chain management of high value high quality agro-commodities for domestic and export markets.
The Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh is the ex-officio Chairman of Hortex Foundation. Being Chairman of the Foundation, He is also the Chairman of its Governing and General Body. The Governing Body comprises seven Directors (Members) and the General Body consists of minimum 35 Members. The Vice Chairman, Export Promotion Bureau (EPB), Ministry of Commerce, Government of the People’s Republic of Bangladesh is the ex-officio Members of both the Governing Body and the General Body of the Foundation. Other Members of these two Management Bodies are representatives mostly come from the private sector organizations. The activities of the Foundation are managed and controlled by its Governing Body and the General Body in line with the guidelines laid down in the revised Memorandum and the Articles of Associations of the Foundation.
The Managing Director, working as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Foundation, operates and runs the affairs of the Foundation on a regular basis as per directives of the Governing Body as well as the General Body following Administrative and Financial Management Operation Manual and by-laws laid down in the revised Memorandum and the Articles of Associations of Hortex Foundation.
Development and promotion of agribusiness with high value agro-products for export through technological and advisory support in order to boost national economy and farmers’ income.
Development of high value high quality agro-commodities through commercial agriculture system in Bangladesh both for domestic and export markets.
Major activities of the Foundation are to:
- assist the farmers in producing quality produces, quarantine pest management, improved postharvest management practices and promotion of contract/group farming system;
- provide training to the farmers, exporters, new entrepreneurs, suppliers and other stakeholders involved in the supply chain on production, postharvest technology and business promotion;
- create awareness among the stakeholders on sanitary and phyto-sanitary measures, WTO rules and regulations, tariff and non-tariff barriers, technical barriers to trade, quarantine pest, disease & postharvest management, food safety & quality;
- provide market intelligence support about market opportunities, product specifications, sources of supply, prices, packaging specifications, linkage among farmers, exporters and importers;
- develop supply and value chain management for agri-business promotion;
- assist new entrepreneurs to develop their business plans and market entry strategy;
- provide web marketing services, establish & maintain database on production and export marketing of high value agro-commodities;
- provide cool chain management and transportation support to exporters and other agro-entrepreneurs for minimizing all forms of deterioration to the perishable and high temperature sensitive commodities;
- provide trial shipment support to the exporters for product and market diversification;
- organize expert consultation, seminar, workshop and success story presentation on different aspects of horticultural/agricultural export;
- participate in national and need-based international trade fairs for promoting exportable produces in abroad;
- explore niche market opportunity for export promotion of high value agro-commodities;
- develop publications such as technical bulletin, newsletter, booklets, leaflets and video content;
- establish and maintain contact, collaborate and contract with other organizations, institutions, bodies and societies at home and abroad for furtherance of the objectives of the Foundation;
- initiate, undertake and promote adaptive research, including market research activities and cooperate with public and private organizations and
develop and promote value added agro-products for domestic and export markets.
Hortex Foundation does not work in isolation rather it works in close cooperation with the Ministry of Agriculture, Government of Bangladesh and its affiliated agencies like Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE), Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC), Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI) and Ministry of Commerce, Export Promotion Bureau (EPB), different Agricultural Universities and Research Institutes, Business Associations, different Farmers’ Associations, Trade Bodies, Private Sectors, International Organizations (UNESCAP, UNECE) and Development Partners (the World Bank, IFAD, EU, FAO, USAID).